LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Originally Posted by hillzofvalp
Haha, regarding my question about how to recover.. I think it's safe to say you can just brake. I just was at bmw driving school----so I've been thinking about how to recover. So are there any bicycle handling techniques that aren't common sense?
Hrrmm, just brake? Is that BMW car school or BMW motorcycle school? Doesn't seem like "just brake" would be a good idea for either.

I've had a 55mph blowout on a car on the freeway, and I don't think I'd advise "just braking." My advice for car blowouts would be:

1. Don't Panic
2. Foot off the throttle
3. Head towards nearest emergency lane
4. Brake lightly as needed.

I've had a couple on bicycles up around 30mph and for those, I'd follow much the same advice, along with some prayer that you're not on a curve when it happens. And of course, since you have the choice, brake as needed using only the wheel with a tire that's still inflated...

Oh and on the matter of tire wobble. Tire molding is tough to get right every time. I don't think price of tires has much to do with it either. I've had $50 tires with a little wobble in 'em. Nothing to worry about for the most part. Just make sure your bead is seated properly, as others have said.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 09-20-08 at 10:47 PM.