View Single Post
Old 09-21-08, 07:20 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hsj
The folder will be used as my do-everything bike. I maybe using it to go to work from home a few times a year. I may also bring it with me to work in the subway or express bus from time to time (There's usually no standee on an express bus since almost everyone prefers a seat for the $5 fare.).
I know the express bus you intend to take the folder and you're probably going to have problems. I don't know any space inside the cabin of the express bus large enough to store that folder. Unfortunately, the express bus is more comfortable than the subway any day of the week but you're going to have big issues bringing that bike inside the cabin of the bus. According to the rules by the MTA, the driver does not have to allow you to board if he considers the package too large. You better have the bike in a bag and hope the bus driver allows you to board.

Do you know where you're going to place the bike once inside? You are not going to be able to take two seats on that express bus! Only the A-Bike, Carryme and maybe the Strida might work because these folders can fit between you legs. The express bus does not have a wide isle like the commuter buses and it is a tight fit. Since these compact folders are thin, you might be able to fit them on the overhead rack. Maybe the Brompton might work but it would still be a large package once inside a bag. I don't think you can fit the Brompton in the overhead rack.

You might want to try this experiment. A lot of bike shops have the Dahon Bolso bag for sale. Buy one and fill it up with clothes. Make it large enough and take it to the express bus stop during rush hour. Try this experiment half a dozen times and if the bus drivers have no issue, but the folder right away! However, if the bus drivers give you a hard time and won't allow you inside, seriously consider a CarryMe or Zooter Kick Scooter. Return the bag back and consider it a lesson learned.

Get another folder for weekend riding of course.