cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Could one of the cogs be in backwards? Maybe a bent dropout?

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If it was my bike I'd check the derailleur hanger alignment. That'll sometimes make it skip a cog that way.
Don't think it is a backwards cog as I kept the cassett mostly together when it went on - only the small ring slipped off and I had to put it back. The alignment may be the issue as I made no real attempt to align it when I bolded it up the the hanger. The hanger should be OK as the bike shifted perfectly with the old group. After working on it more last night I have it down to wanting to jump over one gear in the middle of the cassett, otherwise it is perfect - and it just does this when in the lower chain ring. I can tease it into this gear and it will stay but when moving a full click either up or down it will jump over this cog. The problem can be moved up or down a cog but I seem to have one that is not quite right.

Anyway I will check the alignment more carefully - I think it will just take some patience. I plan to ride a century on it this weekend if the weather holds - even as it is now I will have no problem riding it and running it in might help it.