Old 09-23-08, 05:07 PM
polarflux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trail Rat 2.0 Mod

FYI

I picked up on this thread looking for info to upgrade my NR Trail Rat 2.0. It looks like the landscape has changed a bit since this thread was active. Cutter has a an MR 11 boost kit using a cree triple XR-E r2 binned emitter paired with an optic. The optic size is 35 mm, the same as the existing lamp in the TR 2.0 (or any other MR11 sized lighting housing). I ordered the light kit, plus a heat sink. I am not sure how it the parts will all fit into my existing light housing, but I will find a way (will post pics of the process when I get the parts). Also, the boots electronics (Fat Man) should work with the 6V battery just fine. I have not decided what current I will run the system on, but the XR-E R2s are bright enough that I can run the system at 500 or 750mA and have enough brightness for most everything and still have better battery life (and brightness) than I have now. If I do not have enough brightness, then I might use a different battery (maybe LI) and switch to a buck system. All in all, the parts that I have coming should allow a pretty straight forward upgrade to my old trailrat providing. We'll see. I'll post followup pics, etc.