View Single Post
Old 11-28-04, 11:23 AM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I make an effort to follow the "rules" of the road. I try to ride on the "low traffic/slow traffic" streets for my own benefit, and to avoid impeding motor traffic. The one rule I am forced to break involves traffic lights. In my neighborhood, a "red light" for traffic on a sidestreet remains red until a motor vehicle stops over a sensor. The sensor then "trips" the light to green after about thirty seconds. A bike will not trip the sensor. So, if there are no cars within sight (especially those with bubble lights on the roof), I stop, and then move across the intersection.

Most of the younger guys in my neighborhood ride their bikes as if they are in some sort of "reality show" contest for stupidity. They don't just irritate motorists. They irritate everyone on the road.

A favored riding technique of these guys is to ride at top speed late at night with no lights and no reflectors. They well come around a corner at full speed, in the dark, riding in the middle of the street. Of course, they have no helmet on - their future hospital stays will likely be a taxpayer expense as well.

Motorists are so frustrated with the "kamakize" bike riders that they often take out their anger on bike riders who obey the rules. Jerk bike riders make life more difficult for everyone.