View Single Post
Old 09-25-08, 12:28 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
I put 700x28 gatorskins on a road bike, hoping to soften the ride a little. Bicycling specifically mentioned this tire, in this size, as a way to increase comfort for century riders. It didn't do it for me, it seems like a pretty stiff tire - my LBS said the same thing. The thing is, you have to pump up the gatorskins to about 100psi, if I remember right.

After reading many posts here, I decided to try the Schwalbe Marathons, which you can run at 80psi. Btw, Niagra sells them for $27. Schwalbe claims they absorb some x percentage more road vibration also, believe it or not. Those tires did soften the ride. My son tried my bike and that's the first thing he said, although he didn't like that feel at all. Plus the Marathons have got some tread for hardpack, which I was looking for also. They're about 200g heavier than the gatorskins, but it's not something I notice once I get rolling. I do notice the increased comfort. Took my touring bike on a short trail this week and man was I impressed. Between the tires and steel frame, it felt surprisingly good.

Next up, Continental Contacts (for my ss) - ordered some last week.