View Single Post
Old 11-28-04, 03:22 PM
notfred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best all-around tires?

I want a tire I can use to do everything: Cross Country, some freeriding with jumps and drops and stuff (probably not bigger than 4-6 feet for a while), a bit of urban stuff like stairs, riding around town for the hell of it when I don't feel like driving. I'm a 200lb guy riding a 30lb hardtail, so any tire I put on my bike has to hold up to 230lbs landing on it from 4-6 feet up, without any suspension.

Of course, the ideal tire would have low rolling resistance, great traction, weigh 500 grams, and be indestructible, but no one can actually build that. I have Tioga Factory DH 2.1s on my bike right now, and they've been OK. They're durable enough, but they're ridiculpously heavy and the traction on the rear sucks uphill. I was looking at the Panaracer Fire XC pros in 2.1 width, and they're half the weight of the Tiogas and supposedly have good traction for climbing, but I wonder if I'd destroy them really quickly using them for more than XC duty. I also looked at the Panaracer Fire FR, which should be more durable than the Fire XC, but a 2.4 tire seems like it might have a really high rolling resistance when I'm riding it XC or on asphalt. I've also glanced at the WTB Velociraptors, but haven't really formed an opinion about them yet.

Anyone got any suggestions on tires or opinions on the ones I've already talked about?

Thanks.