seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I am using 2.0" big apples on my 54 and I love it. LOVE it.
I've ridden all sizes from 1.0 to 2.2", and also much prefer the larger tires. They ride better and make life simpler.

I think this may be one explanation for comments I've read about LHT's "running large". I haven't read of them "running small".

I think folks try them on, with stock 1.5s, or read geometry table, which is apparently based on 1.25" tires. They pick a size, buy one, install 2" tires, and now because the TT is jammed into their gonads they think "huh, these things run large, maybe i shoulda got one size smaller".

I believe a touring bike should be fit a little like a mtb, with a little more standover clearance for the uneven surfaces of off-pavement conditions, plus the ability to quickly and easily reach the ground to balance a touring load, with long pants, etc on.

You can get by with an inch clearance on a dedicated road bike, but you need a bit more room for a tourer. Add in the effect of larger tires needed for unpaved terrain, and you find yourself needing to drop down a size.

Last edited by seeker333; 09-25-08 at 08:54 PM.