View Single Post
Old 09-26-08, 09:14 AM
Nigeyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well that makes interesting reading -but I can't say it corresponds to my experience (lx v-brakes and Nashbar cantis with Koolstop pads and Avid BB7 road discs). And I'd take a warped disc over a front blow out too! I think disc warping has to depend on the quality of the discs -much like automotive brakes.

What's really interesting is the brake fade -I didn't expect to see that, and I'd love to see more information on how the test was done. E.g. "The test simulated a long downhill ride, on which the brake was used to maintain a constant speed of about 25 km/h (15.6 mph). The brake power was kept constant until the temperature at the mounting bolt did not increase any further, at which point the power was increased in increments of 200 W". I'm not sure I understand this -why test based on the mounting bolt temperature? Obviously the mounting bolt for a rim vs. disc brake probably isn't equivalent, let alone different disc brake designs -I would have thought that time would have been a better measure -might not be understanding the test though, or the web page didn't explain it thoroughly. I think the description of the test raises other questions as well.

One interesting point of my tour: it wasn't so much the hills and severe gradients, but the fact the gradients were not sweeping or prolonged -sharp corners came very quickly. I couldn't apply the brakes sharpishly and then let off for a time, I had to continually apply the brakes to prevent overshooting a corner -it wasn't what I'd consider the usual mountain roads (at least in the States and Canada). It's not that my rim brakes failed -more the fact I'd guess my discs would have been better performers (but I readily accept that I do not have hard facts or data to back that up, just a feeling as to how my brakes have performed previously).