View Single Post
Old 09-26-08, 10:01 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The heart of the question is can you dump more heat into disc brakes than you can into rim brakes? I agree this test is only part of the answer, but until we get more testing from objective sources it's what we have to go on and the answer seems to be no.

I also agree [as does the test] that a front blow out is more serious than a destroyed disc brake, but let's keep in mind if your disc brake will no longer work [ie. the plastic parts melting in a Avid BB7] you now have to ride your tour with one brake caliper and presumably you are still in the mtns so now you have to manage your braking heat load with one brake until you can get a replacement - that won't work for long. Kind of like winning the battle and losing the war.

I'm not slamming disc brakes....I have several sets and use them as well as v-brakes, but what I do think is really important is that we don't embrace an attitude that rim brakes don't work well and that disc brakes have no faults. In the case of this issue I think we can agree that you have to be careful how you brake and how you heat up your brakes when riding a heavily loaded bike in the mtns or hilly areas regardless of what type of brake you are using.

Most people that tour in remote mountainous areas are doing so with rim brakes and most people riding touring bikes are doing so with rim brakes. Just like everyone who mountain biked before discs did. They work and people are not suffering blow outs left, right and centre.

As you noted I would also love to see more testing done. I'll keep looking for it and I'll keep an open mind.

Last edited by vik; 09-26-08 at 10:06 AM.