Old 09-26-08, 01:15 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rule
Dallas riding is definitely the suck. I almost get hit every single time that I go out. Being on a bike in these parts is like being a snake in the road. Seems like everybody wants to take their turn trying to hit you. Definitely keeps you on your toes though, and taking the lane to discourage drivers from trying to squeeze you is about the only thing that consistently helps.
I am really said to read this. I lived in Dallas when I got out of college, and started my "serious" adult cycling in Dallas way back in 1980. The article has this quote: "In the less than three years I have been cycling, I have endured shouted obscenities, been hit by a flying bottle, blown away by horns, spat on, and several times deliberately forced off the road by vehicles."

That was my experience in Dallas, too - sorry to hear it has not changed.

BTW, I left Dallas in 1981 and moved to Los Angeles -- despite increased traffic, I found it a much easier / better place to ride a bike, partly because there were a lot more bikes on the road, and I think drivers were more accustomed to seeing bikes.