View Single Post
Old 11-29-04, 12:04 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by avocadoaddict
Hi, i noticed that when someone weighs the pros and cons of a bicycle, they usually say something like, "X component is better than Y component," or, "this is a better deal cause it has Z component."

What i don't understand is how do you guys know which components are better than the others? Is there a set list of quality grades, or is it from experience and word of mouth?

Thanks for the help!
Shimano road groups (best to least):
Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, Sora

Shimano mountain groups:
XTR, XT, LX, Deore, Alivio, Acera, Tourney

As a general rule, as you move up the food chain, the parts get nicer looking, lighter in weight, and "crisper" operating. I deliberately used the terms best to least because I don't think that any of them are really bad, just not as good in comparison with the better stuff.

Perhaps a more significant issue is where bike manufacturers have substituted other brand name or no-name parts. Brakes are an example that stands out in my mind. Virtually every bike manufacturer looking for a place to cut their costs a few cents uses knock off brakes that are just terrible. Other common cost cutting areas include bottom brackets, hubs, and cassettes.