View Single Post
Old 09-27-08, 03:08 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
Some time ago, someone gave me an old Asama mountain bike....I'm hoping to get this bike in shape for a winter cruiser, but I want to know if it's going to be more time, money and effort than it's worth?
Upgrading old entry/mid-level bikes is rarely worth it, but if you're able to stay true to the goal of mainly keeping it rolling around its original level of performance, that can be done pretty much on the cheap. (unless, of course, you get stiffed by a LBS with a poor customer attitude.)

The most noticeable problem is the bottom bracket, which must be replaced.
Maybe, maybe not. At that vintage it's probably a cup & cone BB. If you're willing to settle for slightly less than 100% performance a repack and some new bearing balls will probably be enough to resurrect it. OTOH sticking a basic cartridge BB in there would probably be a faster process, and might turn out cheaper.

The front chainrings don't look great either
If you're talking about the shape of the teeth being bad, then a replacement is in order, either immediately or in the near future. If it's rusty you might want to go for a new chain while you're at it, and a new chain will not play nice with a badly worn chainring. Still, a perfectly serviceable but low-end Sugino crank isn't particularly expensive either.

..although I might just be noticing the play in the bottom bracket?
Now you're getting me confused. Have you noticed these problem areas while riding the bike, or while looking the bike over? Please describe the symptoms together with your diagnosis.

The rear derailleur may need an adjustment or replacement as it's not moving through all the gears.
Once again replace or service is mostly down to your required level of performance. Simply riding a RD to the point where it will no longer function at all is pretty much an impossibility, usually you need to apply some external force to achieve that. Not moving through all the gears sounds more like adjustment than terminal wear.

If I start to do the repair work on this bike, should I expect to find some expensive surprises?
Unless there's some parts of the bike that are utterly worn out and hard to replace(which seems improbable) - no.
Is it worth fixing this bike?
Here's my recommendation:
-give it a good clean and lube yourself, particularly chain and RD, then take it out for a careful, restrained ride. If it then will take you around the block without any drama, then it will probably be a good candidate for a functional renovation. This is particularly true if you'll be able to resist the lure of upgrades instead of simple replacements.

Next issue is whether you give reliablity/service interval or cost the higher priority. If cost is a priority then replace only on an as-needed basis. If you're willing to buy yourself some piece of mind, then be a bit more radical, get all new tubes/tires, cables, brake pads, chain and cassette/freewheel in one go.