Thread: What to buy
View Single Post
Old 11-29-04, 03:49 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Given everything said above, it is all less important than how the bike fits you, and what you are going to be using the bike for and your riding style.

You can take 5 identical bikes from 5 different manufacturers, and they will all feel different, so make your choice to a great extent on comfort. I ride off road, and have a very good friendly LBS who took time and care on sorting my last new bike. I did not care what make it was, but it had to fit. I went for a smaller frame than I would normally, but had the seat post changed to compensate for it, to bring ride height up to normal. I wanted a higher stem then so this was changed aswell. The tyres were rubbish, so I got a good deal on new tyres, providing I donated the supplied ones to a local charity that they assist. They also put me off Disc brakes, which are the current rage on MTB's, as my type of riding is better suited to V brakes, so They saved me a few £'s aswell.

I do not know if it is the same on road bikes, But one frame will appear on several grades of bike. The difference being the groupset that is fitted. Once I had the frame to fit me, I then chose the groupset to fit my wallet.

I have now realised that Over the past few decades, I have been riding bikes that do not fit, are uncomfortable, have occasionally not worked properly, and I have been guided by fashion and not requirements. Thank goodness that I have finally done what My LBS told me to do and that is to listen to what they are saying.

By the way, I can vouch for the quality of Bianchi, as that is my new solo, along with the 10 year old Kona Explosif that I cannot part with as it is such an excellent bike, And the quality of the Dale Tandem is now excellent, but cost double the cost of the bike to get to my requirements