View Single Post
Old 09-29-08, 01:01 AM
Solsticejk

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 2.0- nothing fancy. Practical- I like it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After using my Strida 5.0 daily for about a month, I can tell you that this is just one of those products (iphone analogies welcome, though I don't have one- the monthly fee scares me off ) that seems so natural and "right" that those holding the patent can name whatever price they feel the market will bear and rest assured that as long as they aren't in Neptune, it will sell. To all those detractors: try it out in real life for a while, and then talk to me. Is it overpriced? Sure. If they lowered the price to a more impulse purchase price, would they sell more? Undoubtedly so. However, the nice profit margin they are enjoying (I don't claim to know, just conjecture), and the premium status of ownership seem to be the company's strategy rather than trying to put one of these under every joe schmo at a lower pricepoint.

I don't necessarily agree with this buisness model. I initially balked at the price when I even considered buying one after checking it out online. However, in hindsite, I have to say that I kind of have reverse buyer's remorse- the $800 I paid ($750+ tax in a real brick-and-mortar store- I like being able to take something back and get it fixed if there are problems) seem like a shrewd investment in something that has undoubtedly enhanced my quality of life. YMMV.
Jon.