View Single Post
Old 11-30-04, 01:52 PM
NazcaRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowracer1
Another drawback is that of the chainline management. Very inefficient due to the not one buy two very long chaintubes. This bike doesn't use an intermediary idler. The chain on these style management systems can be very difficult to keep clean.
I live in Europe and most bents here are equipped with chaintubes (of course, they also come standard with fenders, lights and luggage racks). The tubes keep clothing clean while commuting. The price for me is that I have to remove the chain and clean the tubes once per year ~ it's either the tubes or the pants. The chainline is straight, so I don't notice any decrease in power. I think they are a good solution for 'non-racing' commuters.

You also have to deal with a large chainring which tend to be a bit more expensive when coming time to replace it. This is due to the small wheel in back.
I also have a 26/20 configuration, which I like. Sometimes I wish for a space-saving 20/20, but I guess I'd have to own one to really know the difference.

They also use a cheap coil over oil shock which needs to be rebuilt every couple years.
I suppose that after a few more years of riding, I'll have to fork-out $35 for a new cheap-o shock. I can't live without suspension. I guess I'm spoiled:=)

If he gets the itch to go faster, a tailbox is always an option also on the baron. not much would fit the mistral due to the rear shock.
I rode a Baron on bike paths in Holland, with NO AUTOMOBILE TRAFFIC. No doubt, it is a fast and popular bent, but I couldn't imagine commuting on one in the states -- especially considering its height, which puts the rider at about eye-level with the hubcaps of most SUVs:=)

For commuting and all-around road riding, wouldn't something like a (much taller) Rans Vivo be the ticket? I know they won't be produced in 2005, but David could perhaps get one used for very little cost.

NR