Old 11-30-04, 05:43 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Most newb mistakes I see while riding down streets.

1) Riding within door range, I take the rest of the lane when parked cars occupy the other half. Simply isn't enough room for me to be outside door range and for a car to pass while another is parked on the right

2) Never ever ever, ride on the sidewalk. Accident statistics from the Toronto website should scare the crap out of you. (I was guilty of this until I started commuting hardcore).

Signalling:
If you need to turn left, shoulder check and if the car is far enough that they will slowdown for you. Signal left by raising your left arm and pump point in the direction and look at them. Wait for reaction and go/don't go.

Right turns don't need to be signalled as much (if ever) even though you're supposed to. That is unless some motorist decides to tailgate you and you have to slowdown to turn right.

Lessons i've learned:

People honk at you, better to just ignore it. They try to hurt you, have the local police on speed dial. I've had shouting matches with motorists before, not worth the expenditure in effort and time. Just look at them as you whizz by at 30kph and they're stuck in traffic for the next 234 hours.

Never be in a rush to get anywhere, two last times i've had a spill I was rushing to get somewhere.

Originally Posted by Saskcyclist
P.S. When I first started, I though motorists would be a lot more difficult to get along with than they really are. 99% are very patient and just want to get to where they are going safely.
Haha sorry i'll have to disagree, motorists are very impatient ANYWHERE, especially if they've already been stuck in any sort of traffic. The "f#($* you a$$hole" to "sexy ass" comment ratio is about 9999999:1.

Some know that bikes are vehicles, most don't know we are allowed to ride a whole lane if we need to. Almost everyone thinks we shouldn't be on the road.

I was like avocadoaddict once before very scared of riding in traffic, until I realized that I didn't need to care about people coming from behind. They'll see me, they'll get out of the way. I also realized that I had to get somewhere too, just like people in cars. Once you get over the riding on sidewalk thing, you'll realize how incredibly dangerous it was to do so.