View Single Post
Old 10-03-08, 09:40 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by taliesin
If your sit bones are on the rivets then you are essentially sitting on metal. The whole point of a Brooks is to sit on the suspended leather that will, over time, mold to your specific shape. The steel frame of a Brooks isn't going to mold to anything, and you may end up with back, joint or nerve problems as a result.

If you want a leather saddle but find the rails on a B-17 are too short you could try a Brooks Swift or Swallow, both of which have longer rails (and are considerably more expensive). Velo-Orange has a Brooks-like leather saddle with longer rails that is similar to a Brooks Swallow. Also, it looks like Wall Bike will soon be stocking a leather saddle from Berthoud that will have longer usable rail length than a Brooks.
I've been using a B17 or Team Pro for several years now. I don't always sit on the metal, but find it a solid position. I don't like the saggy middle if I slide forward a bit - i like a bit more firmness and support from my saddle.
I do like the Team Pro - don't think about it when riding. I do think a setback seatpost would help a bit.
Al