View Single Post
Old 10-04-08, 07:27 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
It really sounds like all three were the result of poor maintenance or repair actions on your part. I am not saying this to be critical of you, but only to suggest that all three can be avoided in the future with some practice and some care. I decided not to say this when I first read the post, but after thinking about it I decided to risk being insensitive since I think you problems were all avoidable and hopefully you can avoid similar ones in the future.

Originally Posted by jjjjeremy
The ride began well. I was nice and warmed up after about five miles, then, hisssssssss. I pull over to find that the stem on my rear tube partially ripped.
Damage to the stem almost always happens when mounting the tire and is seldom the result of any flaw other than maybe a sharp edge or burr at the hole in the rim. Deburr the hole and use care with the tube when mounting the tire.

I put on a new tube, get riding again. About fifty feet later, hisssss pop.
A few possibilities here. Most likely is that you pinched the tube when mounting the tire or it was trapped between the bead and the rim. The next most likely is that some sharp foreign object was not removed from the tire after the previous flat. Since you think the stem was at fault this is probably not the problem unless the leak in the tube was at the valve hole. The third possibility is a defective tube. This one is far less likely than the first two.

I hear a flap flap flap flap boom!
As I said before this is almost certainly the tire bead was not properly seated or less likely was just ill fitting.

I am never going to try to do that ride ever again.
Practice your repair skills and maintain the bike. Don't blame the route or luck. Some flats are inevitable, but these were probably all avoidable.

I have made all the same errors at some time in the past and have found it better to learn to avoid these problems, rather than blame the tubes or the route.