View Single Post
Old 10-05-08, 03:28 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
This topic has come up several times. As best I can tell, the bike is a solution without a problem- from my viewpoint at least. The problem with multiple gears on a bike is that they sell them on cheap bikes, and they don't work well. So I can see why people would be leary of them. And I remember last time the topic came up, someone pointed out that his wife had gotten started riding on one of these when she wouldn't have started otherwise, so they're good for some people.

I was riding my front loader tricycle around White Rock Lake this afternoon, and I usually average about 8 mph with it, maybe 10 if I don't make any stops. And I did pass this one lady and man. They were going uphill, into the wind, the lady needed to downshift, and wasn't. I debated whether to holler "Downshift and spin, lady!" but was afraid it wouldn't be appreciated as the sage advice it actually was. Anyway, there's an application where the Landrider might have been fine. But let that lady figure out what shifters are for and she won't need one.