SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 323 Posts
Considering Learning Basic Truing

I do a fair bit of work on vintage bicycles but generally don't touch cotters or adjust wheel spokes. Of late I'm considering getting to know basic truing and minor wheel adjustments. Is it difficult for a first timer to adjust an already-built wheel that is a little out of true? I don't have a stand, but figure I can do it on the bike using the brakes or some other device to check the lateral true. The wheel is currently in radial true, so I figure as long as I loosen one side as much as I tighten the other the radial true should remain pretty good. I've been bringing my bike to the shop a couple times per year to have the back wheel trued up (the front one never seems to run anything but dead straight), but figure I could do well by just making these little adjustments at home. I've seen some materials online and watched a couple of those "experts" videos at various websites and it doesn't seem anything all that complex.

The bikes are basic Raleigh 3 Speeds and a balloon tire bicycle. I know the ballooner uses special large gauge spokes. but what gauge spokes do the 3 Speeds run on, and what spoke wrench would be proper for them?