View Single Post
Old 10-09-08, 05:33 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by clayborne
I wanted to get an 80s or 90s sl or slx frame set. My friend told me that in order to get the weight down for these frames the sl and slx tubing lost a lot of its load carrying capability. I am 160 pounds, carry groceries, and do the occasional weekend tour. What is the deal. Thanks.
Your friend is sorta dead on regarding the technology. Columbus had SP, SPX, SL, and SLX. SP and the X were a lot thicker and more rigid than SL and SLX. Not to say an SLX (stronger than SL because of the ribbing) frame is weak, it has been used for race frames carrying the best.

I weigh 180 to 185, not a real strong rider, don't beat on bikes, and I would have no problem owning an SLX frame. My Mondonico is SL I think, and it seems fairly stiff to me and knocks me around! I wouldn't worry about strength.

Now weight - you won't match the best carbon or AL bikes, but it will still be a lively responsive ride. 20# used to be the standard for light bikes, and its not as good as 14, but its still pretty good.

Now I hope some real frame experts speak up!

Road Fan