Old 10-09-08, 06:01 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Hasek
This may be a bit of a varied thought on the forums, but here it goes:

What good is a bike that sits and never gets ridden or only gets ridden once or twice a year?

Different types of bikes for different riding purposes is a different matter; i.e. a mountain bike, a tourer, a racing bike, etc.

I am not familiar with the Trek 950 or 6000, but if they are the same style of bike, I would get the 6000 and after half a year or more, if the 950 doesn't get ridden, pass it on to someone who can use a bike.
Heh, heh, there's a saying where I used to live:
"Ya'll not from around here, are ya"

Seriously, part of the C&V thing is appreciation of the machinery and riding an older bike on occaision just for fun. I admit I've practiced the N+1 rule to an extreme, but I have taken at least 12 different bikes on rides so far this season and I'll probably add two or three more before the end of the year.
OK, I'm an extreme and I really enjoy bikes. I don't knock an individual who wants only one bike. Space, financial restraints or just a desire to only own one bike is fine. But if someone asks if they should sell their old bike, they're actually almost at the point where they want to keep an extra bike for many possible reasons. Having sold a couple of bikes I wish I kept, I'd recommend keeping the old bike and I've certainly kept more nice bikes than I've sold and have no regret, actually it's quite satisfying.