View Single Post
Old 10-14-08, 05:07 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree slicks would improve the speed but I'm pretty happy with the Marathons as a compromise as they offer better puncture protection and also more grip on wet days.

Thanks Bacciagalupe I take your point about weight reduction. I guess it's just a desire to make the bike even lighter to carry. I also have the Helios XX special edition bike which is 1kg lighter but not as fast in my opinion because the Mu SL has a stiffer frame. Therefore you right about frame stiffness and speed rather than the odd few pounds here and there.

Al-Q you sure do seem to be getting some serious performance. I love the Brooks on my Brompton but it doesn't suit the Mu SL. I'm still using the stock saddle and happy with that for now. I had a very competitive guy pass me the other day on a Dahon Speed Pro TT. He couldn't shake me off no matter how hard he pumped it and I just sat right in behind him smiling. He kept looking back to see if he had shaken me and I was just cruising along at a good cadence. He was so intent on outdoing me that when he got to Paddington Station he sped down the vehicle access road to the main station concourse and had to swerve to avoid flattening a pedestrian. These competitive types are real idiots. Go join a cycle club and save it for the weekends I say. The Mu SL can really hold its own, very sleek, efficient and fast for an upright folding bike. Sure the TT Pro is probably faster but only marginally and the rest is down to the rider.

Last edited by mulleady; 10-14-08 at 05:13 AM.