View Single Post
Old 10-16-08, 09:36 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Find a bike and see how it feels. I bought a bike from CL for $20.00 when I was commuting between to homes so I didn't have to transport a bike back and forth. It felt comfortable and rode great.
2. Spend as little as possible. Get a used bike.
3. Get a MTB.
4. Don't get caught up in components. As long as they feel smooth and function properly.
5. Once you ride a 1,000 miles total you will have a feel for the type of riding you want to do and what feels good to you on a bike.

By waiting to spend your money on a bike after riding the first 1,000 miles you will make a better decision. If you don't keep with cycling, you're out your 20 - 50 dollars. You will have other expenses when you start such as gloves, shorts/bibs, etc. Items you can continue on your new bike. By waiting you will also have lost weight, gained fitness, and flexibility. All of these come into play on getting a bike that feels comfortable. What feels comfortable today may not after the first 1,000 miles.

I was reading earlier today where one rider's first bike was $4.99. He says he has now upgraded to more expensive bikes and spends $20.00 on a bike.

So get a cheap bike as soon as possible and ride, ride, and ride ("ride lots"). During the first 1,000 miles don't worry about interval training, hill training. or anything else. Slow steady miles until you have built this base. Some say you need to ride the first 1,000 miles each year this way.