Old 10-17-08, 10:56 AM
mike_s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
We all do know with time, laundering removes the ability of Gore Tex to resist water. That is pretty well accepted by all.
Really, why don't you just go to the Gore-Tex site and read the care FAQ? It says this (notice that they specifically do NOT recommend wash-in treatments):
How can I restore my garment's water repellency?

You can totally restore a GORE™ product's durable water repellency (DWR) by using a topical DWR treatment product for outdoor fabrics, available at outdoor retail stores. (Note: We do not recommend wash-in treatments.) These special treatments help maintain and restore the DWR on the outer shell fabric of the product so that it remains water and stain repellent. Anyone can properly maintain the DWR on a GORE™ product.

When water no longer beads on your garment's outer fabric, simply apply a topical DWR treatment product according to its directions.

Why do I need to use a water-repellent treatment on my GORE-TEX® product?

Gore shell fabrics, the outermost fabric layer of a GORE-TEX® garment, are treated with an ultra-thin polymer coating known as DWR, or durable water repellent. This coating causes water to bead up and roll off the outer layer of fabric, instead of being absorbed.

Water-repellent outer fabric provides additional insulation and prevents liquid from saturating your garment's outer fabric, a condition known as "wet out" that can make you feel damp and clammy. Your garment may even feel like it's leaking, although it's not.

Regular wear and tear, plus exposure to dirt, detergents, and other impurities, causes DWR failure. The effective life of the DWR depends upon how you care for your garment and how rigorously it is used. The most effective way to maintain your Gore garment's water and stain repellency is to wash it, rinse it, and put it in your dryer. Keep it clean!