View Single Post
Old 12-05-04, 09:19 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor98
I don't know what you mean- as far as I know your head is a lot harder than most helmets so impact required to break the two is not equal and thus a broken helmet does not equate to a broken head. Your story is purely antidotal and means very little to the helmet discussion. I am sorry you had a bad spill but it doesn’t prove anything one way or another.

That being said, I took a spill last weekend and broke a helmet. Bike came out from under me on a muddy corner- not much of an impact, small bruises on my hip and upper arm, hand still hurts (I was in the drops on the brakes) and a broke helmet right where the arm for a mirror attached. I believe I would have maybe hit my head without two inches of helmet and mirror attached to it and I probably would have had a bump for a week. However, no way would I have really injured my head on that fall without a helmet. Either way my story, like yours, is not a proof of anything other than antidotal evidence is worthless.
Not to pick on the finer points of your statement but you need to take a basic course in physics, there's a real good reason why helmets are designed to break as easily. And there are different types, some helmets can withstand multiple impacts while some can not, the amount of impulse rendered, however, changes with that. It's not the fact that you go from 30mph to 0mph that kills you, it's how fast you do it and how large the impact area is.