View Single Post
Old 05-27-02, 06:12 AM
velocipedio
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Allister
Personally, any team colours that aren't earned look a little ridiculous to me. A replica yellow jersey just takes it up a notch.
I have to differ with you there. I have a couple of old Montreal Canadiens sweaters that I wear because I'm a hockey fan. Sometimes I even wear them playing shinny. I have an All-Blacks and a Springboks jersey, and I've even worn them [or their much-worn predecessors] playing a pick-up game of sevens.

The point is that it seems perfectly normal to me that someone would want to show his team allegience by wearing his team colours. Moreover, since cycling is an entirely sponsor-supported sport, the licensing fees that the teams and sponsors get from the sale of these jerseys helps keep the teams racing. So it's not just moral. but financial support from the fans.

Having said that, I think the classification jerseys and championship jerseys, like the white world champion's jersey are a bit gauche. I've seen guys wearing the polka-dot jersey who can't climb... but at least they can dream.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002