View Single Post
Old 04-29-01, 11:49 AM
aerobat
Love Me....Love My Bike!

Bikes: Bikes: Giant hybrid, Trek 4500, Cannondale R800 Some commuting 20mi/day, mostly fitness riding - 20-50 mile rides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rainman, an excellent thread. I too have gotten so involved with new equipment, good bikes, cycling clothes etc., that I've forgotten those that are more utilitarian cyclists, and now look at them in a new light.

I commuted to a seminar the other day, which took me right through the city, as opposed to my normal commute on the highway where I seldom see another cyclist. On those days I saw more people riding to work, school etc, and a lot of them weren't wearing helmets, were riding on the sidewalk etc., and it made me think of this thread.

As some others have mentioned, I have a little trouble going up to a complete stranger and offering advice, safety related or otherwise, as it could be taken the wrong way. I do, however try and be friendly, but I think when those cyclists look at someone in lycra, helmet etc. they look at us as somewhat different, too, and I frequently don't get an acknowledgement of a wave or "Hi".

For these reasons, I believe public education is the key to these safety issues. There should be as much publicity given to bicycling, as drinking and driving, seat belts and other safety promotions.

Pehaps even if safety equipment such as helmets were promoted using less expensive items it would be a start. It's easy to see why a "migrant worker" wouldn't buy a helmet if they think they have to have a $100.00 Giro!

In the meantime, I guess it's up to us, as established cyclists, to at least set a good example and try and promote safe cycling in our own way.