Old 10-22-08, 08:46 PM
Nota

Bikes: a celeste green one; 5.5 Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oceantin
I have a really stupid question. I have seen the term "cable ratchet" many times in this thread. I really want to know what exactly is cable ratchet? Is it the shift cable housing that come out horizontally from the brifter? Do i have to take the cable out or just the cable housing out in order to blast WD-40? How can i take the cable or cable housing out from the brifter??

Also, if you blast WD-40 and then lube to the cable ratchet, the brifter will be filled with those liquid. Will those WD-40 and lube go down to the bar tape? and soak the bar tape?? Or i have to take the brifter out from the bike before i do that?

I know these are really basic. I as well have a RSX 7-speed drivetrain that i may need to service later.

Thanks!!
I'm not certain, but I suspect when they say "cable ratchet", they're talking about the mechanism down inside the brifter, that looks like a little toothed gear, that literally "ratchets", as it moves up or down a toothed knotch. It's this ratcheting action that takes up or lets out very small amounts of the shifter cable slack, in order to make the derailleurs move.

Yes, when you blast down inside the brifters with WD40, it WILL run down your bar tape and make a mess. I found out the hard way, right after having brand new white foam bar tape installed, when I switched to a wider set of bars. I'll tell you what I wish someone had told me...WRAP SOME RAGS TIGHTLY AROUND THE BASE OF THE BRIFTER, BEFORE YOU SPRAY IT!!!

Best of luck with it, and if all else fails, take 'em off the bike and send 'em to Andy Zeigler (see his email contact info in my previous post in this thread); he'll fix 'em.

Cheers