Old 10-23-08, 05:15 PM
martybucs

Bikes: DiamondBack Approach, Diamondback Outlook, Giant Cypress, Schwinn Sprint 10 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abneycat
Airless tires are an old joke by now. There is a reason you don't see them around as a common standard - they're not a new innovation, rather a dead horse being beaten into the ground.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#airless

Sheldon Brown's writeup explains the details quite well. In short, the ability of pneumatic (air filled) tires to respond to pressure changes in a near linear manner is invaluable, and is something airless tires do not do. As a result, they have consistently inferior handling, poor comfort, and some models may have the capability to damage your bicycle due to their inability to properly absorb road shock. They are poor equipment for anything other than light duty, low speed use.

If you don't like flats, I would suggest going for a speciality high durability tire instead. Schwalbe Marathon Plus or Specialized Armadillo for instance have a high level of protection, without any of the drawbacks airless systems have - which are extremely considerable.
I have to say that, perhaps the late Sheldon Brown, (may he ever ride in peace), never tried the Nu-Teck airless tire. The tire I just received and put on my bike seems very resilient and shock absorbing. The handling seems OK.
After reading his comments and many others, I was concerned that I had just wasted my money. For now, I'm pleased and I hope that situation endures. Wish me luck.