View Single Post
Old 10-25-08, 03:31 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
Is there a document that defines serious cyclist? I may only have amateur ranking but there are plenty of opportunities where I'd have liked a kickstand on the touring bike(s).
It's just a loose term, used to describe someone who rides alot, or rides fast, or has alot of bikes, or has one really expensive bike....take your pick.

Let's look at myself and another fellow cyclist, Bob (his name really is Bob).

I'm 39, fit, thin, own 4 bikes (soon to be 5), ride fast, ride often (4000km/year), wear the spandex and the like. None of my bikes have a kickstand.

Bob is 56, pudgy around the middle, owns 1 bike (with a kickstand), rides alot, rides slow, but his rides are no more than 40km and he even has started his own cycling club - www.nsramblers.ca. Bob is also well known in the cycling circles around here and is a VP of Bicycle Nova Scotia. Well, Bobby boy has over 6000km so far this year. Is he a 'serious' cyclist? In my eyes, yes. He said to me one time, "I ride to eat...that's why I ride."

I think that 'serious' is best used to describe someone who lives, eats and breathes cycling. Myself and Bob are 'serious' cyclists.

Being a cycling safety instructor (CAN-BIKE), I tell students that the one thing that typically falls off of a bike are kickstands, so remove them. But that typically applies to 'non-serious' cyclists. That being said, if you are diligent about making sure your bike is in proper working order and the bolts, nuts, screws are properly tightened, then by all means, if you want one and find it convenient, use a kickstand.

If you don't want a kickstand (like me), then by all means, don't put one on your bike.

Do I think less of Bob because he has a kickstand? No. I hold Bob in high regard.

Do I poke fun at Bob because he has a kickstand? Well...I poke fun at him, but not because he has a kickstand. Hmmm, but maybe I'll start....