Old 12-07-04, 06:49 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Eppies Great Race or Alcatraz Sharkfest -- same day.

I've never swam from Alcatraz to Fisherman's Wharf. I was planning to do so this summer. I did the Tiburon Mile this last fall, and it was a blast. My time was much better than expected and I've discovered that I really like open water swimming as a sport. There are two Alcatraz races this summer, one, Sharkfest, which is July 16. The forecast is for almost zero current which is good. The other, the Alcatraz 100 is Sept. 10. The forcasted current is one knot cross, which means you swim for the Transamerica building and end up at Aquatic Park. Needless to say, I'd rather do Sharkfest.

But on July 16 is the Eppies Great Race Triathlon. I've never done a triathlon or raced a bike. I thought doing this with a team would be a good start. One of my neighbors runs and the other kayaks. We would probably have a pretty good time. The bike portion is along the American River Bike trail, which I know like the back of my hand (it was my ride to school when I was a kid) It would be fun to race on it.

Has anyone done either of these events? If you had to choose, which would it be?