View Single Post
Old 12-08-04, 12:12 AM
53-11 alltheway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JavaMan
It's not a case of simply riding more. If you want to get faster, you've got to ride faster! Group rides are a great way to ride fast. Try to find a group of riders that you can barely stay with, not one that leaves you in the dust.
Tom
THis is my formula for kicking ass.......

1. Bolt on some long crank arms (don't skimp here....LOL)

2. Bolt on some wide handlebars.....so you can control your frame when you are putting the torque down with those long crank arms. Wide bars help when you are "Big Ringing" a steep mountain.

3. Make sure stem is right length. I like long stems...for some reason I go faster if I have more weight over front wheel.

4. Make sure your fore-aft seat position isn't screwed up. Screwed up fore-aft position will kill your power! Sometimes you need your seat higher without it going back further. Consider seatpost with straight clamp (no setback) or slight forward design (if you like high seatpost..... forward design will keep seat position under control when you are extending the post)

5. Get the right cassette.....doesn't have to be 11-23!

6. Most importantly.....train with intensity. Leisurely bike trips at 15 mph aren't going to do anything for you. Go after hills with a vengenance.

7. Oh yeah.....lift weights. It's good for you.

8. Join the Top Gun School of Cycling......

Last edited by 53-11 alltheway; 12-08-04 at 12:19 AM.