Old 10-30-08, 07:38 AM
Gunther
Fun begins @ 200k

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen that link....

I've seen that link, but for whatever reason, I'm unable to post on that form or PM "weeks52806" (the poster with the Z3).

For me, it comes down to the choice between:

A) Edge 705. Best for gathering ALL data (including the route traveled). Requires supplemental power for longer brevets. Navigation is NOT its strong suit. I'm still not certain how to create RELIABLE courses that the GPS will navigate without constant "off course, make a U-turn" warnings.

B) Combination of the Z3 PC to record cycling performance data and a better navigating Garmin like the eTrex or the GPSMAP. The Z3 has enough battery & data storage capacity for any brevet I plan to ride. These Garmins run substantially longer than the Edge and rely on AAs which can be easily swapped out. I wouldn't record track information on my routine training rides (hard to get lost on such familiar roads, anyway)

The big unknown is the VDO software and its capability for data migration. I keep tabs on my cycling in SportTracks. I've been unsuccessful (so far) in determining whether the VDO software will export data in a format that can be imported into SportTracks.

GtB

Last edited by Gunther; 10-30-08 at 07:39 AM. Reason: forgot the intro