pdxcyclist
Cycling is Self-Therapy

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Birdy Light, Bike Friday Project Q

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camel
How about sailing on a boat big enough to store your cycle kit (sealed somehow from the salt). Circumnavigate the globe by sail, while stopping for month long tours here and there, along with a few decent hiking/trekking trips where your bike can't get to.
Overall, I think it makes the dream of going crusing even more exciting. At the marina we frequent, folding bikes are very popular with the cruisers, because they are easier to store below. I already know I like Bike Fridays (I ride a Q), and in the future I could see us with two Bike Friday World Travellers along with us.

Only one caveat-- early in our cycle touring years, we took our bikes to the Virgin Islands. After two days, we returned them to the airport for the rest of the trip-- the islands (especially St. John) were simply too steep to cycle. When we rented a Sukuki Sidekick, one of the rental rules was to never shift out of second gear! On St. Thomas, there were fewer massive grades, but heavy traffic on narrow roads. Ergo, I don't think it pays to be too romantic about dropping anchor at all islands and then having perfect cycling conditions.

We are moving forward with crusing plans. We've already cut expenses, opened the Roth IRAs, and I think I've worked out an "off season" deal for a membership and keelboat certification at a local sailing club. After certification, we can sail any of their club boats (20 to 30 feet) without having to own or maintain them. I guess we'll find out one way or another if we're cut out for this-- thought I'll admit that I loved sailing Laser II sailboats in college.