Old 10-31-08, 08:36 AM
adam

Bikes: Cervelo, Pinarello, Specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooo
Maybe, maybe not. Every other story is going to have the second headline "drugs?" or "DRUGS!"
My mom's first question when she heard about his comeback was "did he get a better doctor?"

If he wins the Giro, other people will be asking that. If he abandons (because that's been his style with races that have gone badly) people will use that to say he was doping back in the day.

A man many claim is dirty on a team many think is dirty... There must be better ways to support cancer research than that.
Bonnie Ford thinks so too:
Q: Being an elite bike rider is something that takes a lot of time every day. You're a member of a team and that takes a certain amount of time. There's physical risk involved in racing. Your comeback has stirred up a lot of old stuff in the public and media that could be distracting. Why is it better for you to be on the bike to promote your cause than off the bike where -- as has been chronicled -- you have access to anyone you want, practically, in the world and --

A: Because it's an international initiative. If it was a domestic one or a Texas one, we've done that. We continue to maintain those initiatives. But it was our view that we would be more effective if I were on the bike, racing internationally.

Q: The time you devote to being an athlete is time you can't spend lobbying.

A: No, but it doesn't always have to be me. [The foundation] is an organization of 70 people, and 10 working on the international plan. That, in and of itself, is a big team. It's not just me. I have great support, a great team, great visionaries and great people working for me. I feel confident we'll be effective.
This has always been more than the cancer cause for Lance.