Old 12-09-04, 11:12 PM
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dutch and CJ,

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Dutch, on your ride to work, I don't understand why it takes 90 minutes each time. On the days it seems easy presumably your BPM is down. Why don't you get your BPM back up and make the ride in say 86 minutes or so? Isn't the idea in part to get the BPM up and keep it there rather than letting it slow down past a certain point? (You can see I don't grasp certain fundamental of physiology.) On days when things seem easy to me, I just say heck, I'm not working hard enough and push the level up until I'm miserable again. On the other hand, somedays that state comes as soon as I'm out the door. On such ugly days, I work just as hard (and presumably the BPM would show that) but I just don't get there as quickly.

CJ, I like your notion about seeing what your body does in certain gears at certain speeds and up grades. I haven't been a competitive biker for long and am still learning how to push my old Peugeot U08 as fast as possible. It is only a ten speed so that at least I don't have to fret over too many options. Nonetheless, I'm still learning how to get up hills. Sitting in the saddle versus standing, spinning versus powering up might all reveal something through the HRM. First, I'd better get a speedo and a cadence monitor as well.

To both of you and the other knowledgable posters, THANKS for making this a nice forum.

Tyson