View Single Post
Old 12-10-04, 12:26 AM
Chongo

Bikes: Russ Denny custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I've used tubulars since to late 70's. They're tougher than clinchers which must be paper thin in order to reduce weight. Right now, I'm riding Tufo S3 Lites which weight 215 grams. The lightest clinchers are about 190 grams and you have to add about 70 grams for a tube and rimstrip (unless you have Ksyriums). Tufo's are tubeless and can be filled with a latex sealant which make then flat resistant for punctures up to 2 mm in diameter. I've run through goathead thorns, and the sealant works if the thorn is removed right away. They're extremely tough, and if you do flat, you're not suddenly riding on your rim downhill at 40 mph. The drawback is gluing them on to the rim, but pracitce makes easier, and that you need to carry a spare tire on training rides. I won't ride clinchers after a bad experience with a sudden blowout. BTW, I get about one flat for every 15 that my riding buddies get over approximately the same terrain and riding time. They're not for everyone though, and a few pros are using clinchers now.