Old 11-06-08, 09:49 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Throwmeabone
So I go through the spokes trying to even out the sound and tightening the spokes. My goal was to get them all sounding the same and then tweak them further to make it true.
That's just bass-ackwards. You should aim for a straight, centered wheel first, then increase the tension by tightening each spoke a little bit at a time. That is:
1. tighten all of the spokes by 1/4 turn
2: adjust to round out the wheel
3: adjust to center the rim
4: adjust to true the wheel
5: start over at step 1
Repeat until your hand cramps (at least, that's my tension gauge)

Spokes will often have minor differences in tone across the wheel due to variations in rim thickness. Also, the drive-side spokes will have a higher tone due to higher tension. This is normal and expected.

IMO, cheap, machine-built wheels can be just fine if they're tensioned properly after being built. They haven't built a machine yet that can properly true a highly-tensioned bicycle wheel, so your only choice is to find a competent bike shop that will take the time to hand-true and tension machine-built wheels.

FWIW: I've been building my own wheels for nearly 30 years. Since I learned to build them with enough tension, I haven't broken a single (undamaged) spoke. That's with my 215 pounds carcass in the saddle.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..