michaelwlf3
Live to Ride,Ride to Live

Bikes: 2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CosmicRocker
I live in SC. I started riding about 5 years ago. We have a ride in this area called the Assault On Mt. Mitchell. The Assault starts in Spartanburg, SC and finishes at the top of Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi. The first part of the ride (Assault On Marion) is 72 miles with about 5,000 feet of climbing. The second part, from Marion to the top of Mt. Mitchell, is 30 miles with about 6, 500 feet of climbing. This part is all uphill with the exception of 2 very short decents and one 2-mile decent. So you are pedaling uphill for about 27 out of the last 30 miles. I did this for the first time in 2003. It took me a little over 10 hours. No great by any stretch of the imagination, but I didn't have to get off and walk at any time. This year, I cut almost an hour off my time from last year. I turned 50 after this year's ride, so I will make it my 3rd (and probably final) time next year while I'm 50 and try to cut more time.

http://freewheelers.info/assault.html

The ride is grueling, but very scenic. If you are within a reasonable drive and want something challenging, may I suggest giving this one some consideration.

But above all, if you are out riding ANYWHERE, kudos to you all!!
You did the assault on Mt. Mitchell**********

I live in North Carolina and got tired driving up Mount Mitchell!!!!!

Good job, dude!