Old 11-07-08, 11:56 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Your Toughest Clyde Physical Ailment Ride?

Idea from another thread.

What was your toughest ride? Not cause it was hot, cold, or raining, climbing or windy, but a physical ailment ride!

Mine had to be a metric century (can I say that without looking like a wuss?) in Borego Springs, middle of the desert. Gina and I drove about 2.5 hours to atend the ride. I was riding while she drove the course for kicks (back when gas was cheap). I was bit anxious then frustrated when I was running a bit short on time thanks to an unexpected detour.

I reached the start with plenty of time to spare but I was still pumped. One of the things that can bring on a deadly migraine if I get too anxiuos. Migraines are terrible. Suffering since I was 12 years old. Sometimes once a month, sometimes once a year. Doc says they are "aura migraines" since an aura appears impairing my sight. A awful lighted line similar to Christmas runners. Eegads, I get nauseous just thinking about it! The line starts on the lower left, 10 minutes later, can shift to the upper right. Varies case to case. Then my tongue goes numb, my leg, my arm then the tummy as theline vanishes but visionis blurry. Needless to say I puke my guts out, even after I reach empty, dry heaves. Sometimes the only way to feel better is sleep it off, maybe 8 hours. Then the head is numb for a cople of days and eyes are very sensitive to lights.

So I start the ride and Gina is monitoring me on the course. I'm flying cause I had been training back then and was down in weight and up in endurance. Feeling great, passing pacelines of riders. Some could hang on but I'd drop them on the inclines of the short rollers. I had paced myself at the start and had been running down riders. I could see the lead pack ahead but didn't figure on catching them, just holding my good pace.

Gina would pul over the truck over to the side of the road to watch as I rode by. SOme of the riders taht I had passed would shout out, "hey loverboy!" as I stopped to give Gina a peck allowing them to pass me. I'd remount then ride them down again and smile as I rode by. I was having fun!

Then I get to the turnaround at Salton Sea. I ate some of the famous Dudley Bread (I had never heard of it). Gina stopped a couple of minutes with me then I hit the road again. About 1/5 mile form the rest stop, I nearly went blind! SUNNOFA ********* MIGRAINE!!!!!

I couldn't see so I waved down Gina as I could see out of my peripheral vision direction. I pulled over to tell her the news. She said no biggie we'd just head home as she knows waht goes on when they hit. I thought about it a few minutes as my new found buds rode by smiling and waiving, once again calling me "loverboy". Little did they know I wanted to cry (Yes, Superman feels like crying sometimes, I saw the movie).

Just as I was about to load my bike, I said F it! I swear when I'm pissed! I told Gina I was going for it as only 30 miles remained, we'll see what happens. I put my head down then followed the white line. Desert road so it was long and straight with rolling hills. I put my mind to the thighs concentrating on the legs trying to make them burn bad! I figured I could displace the blood flow to my legs. I heard messaging the finger tips makes the blood flow while relieving migraine pain. I pedaled as hard as I could. My legs were numb wiht pain but next thing I know, I could once again see!

Not sure what really happened but I rode by a few riders that shouted "loverboy!". Well Dern, I caught back up and rode by half blind with blurry vision. I always wore a bright orange jersey so others had me marked on rides. They thought it was so Gina could easily spot me on rides. Fact was , it was the only jersy I could afford!Haha!

So I try to smile for the guys as I go by. Later down the road Gina drives by and asks if I'm ok. I say yeas and right as I stat to overtake another rider, he shouts out, "he's passing riders again". Oh man, that pumped me up again!.....So I continue on concentrating on punishing the legs. Later down the road with maybe 5 miles left I spot a recumbent onthe flat part of the ride. Then I decide I am going to catch him redirecting my attention form the head to the thighs. He sees me coming and gives it his all. Last mile I'm right on his tail. "Basturd, I'm gonna getcha!" my mind says! I pedal harder but can't pass him as he crosses the line about one bike length ahead of me! That was cool!

We chat a bit after the ride then we go to the postmeal. I sit ther for a few minutes with Gina but totally sick now. Body is illin' and some guy notices so he offers me some drugs. I rarely take anything but this time , gimme an extra large dose!...Food looks great but I can't eat more than 5 or 6 bites. I gotta go so we split. Stopped at a minimart for a plastic bag and a 7Up!

I rode shotgun for the next 2.5 hours wiht a puke bag on my lap, but HOTDAMMIT, I DID IT!!! That's when I decided I WAS to become Superman!

Post your best story, I will read the entire thang!