Map tester
I am not a car

Bikes: Giant Revel 1, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vja4Him
if I buy the electric hub motor for my Electra Townie, I will no longer have the gears that came with my bicycle available for pedaling?
If you get a front hub motor, you will still have all the gears your bike currently has.

need to commute to various job assignments where there is no bus service, and too far for me to pedal (10-15 miles each way).
Two issues here: the size of the battery and the terrain you will be riding--flat or hilly? If you carry your recharger with you and recharge when you can, you should be able to make a *few* of these trips. Problems come up if you have many hills--the battery will be warm/hot after these trips and will not recharge as well.

I want to get something that will last many years, and allow me to attain speeds of at least a good solid 35mph (45mph would be better, so I could ride on the country roads where the speed limit is between 45-55mph), with my weight, plus groceries (will not be riding fast with groceries!!!, only around 10mph then!).
If you want a motor-assisted bicycle, you need to re-think those speeds; you will not get those speeds and distances. And have you traveled any distance on a bicycle going 35 mph? Think more along the lines of 15 to 25 mph.

When I go to work, my weight is around 210, plus my large backpack, which normally weighs around 15 pounds. Groceries will add another 15 pounds, sometimes more ....
With the right motor and battery, your weight should not be a problem.

So, I need a good quality motor that will easily carry over 250 pounds, reliable, effecient, long lasting
Disclaimer: I have no business connection to Ebikes.ca

I recently bought a Ezee kit from ebikes.ca for my wifes bike. I bought an upgraded battery (upgrade from stock 36v to 48v). The kit is well made and has enough power to carry me (260 lbs--and losing--plus the battery and bike) up the many hills we have here in Atlanta. I have done one test ride to my work (11 miles) and believe I could easily do the roundtrip (22 miles) with some power to share. I would suggest you contact ebikes.ca and discuss your needs and see what they recommend.