Old 11-09-08, 07:12 PM
UberIM

Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadbuzz
Denver: Whoops is right! I'm a healthy guy... this stuff wasn't supposed to happen. I just goes to show ya. For my situation the pacemaker would just be for elevating the HR while at rest. Based on the stress test, I guess they felt my heart response to exercise was okay.

making: Alas, my cardiologist is leaving the final decision to me. I did tell him about all meds *and* supplements, something I don't always do. His recommendation was to drop the herbal supplements I was taking... you don't always know all the ingredients. I have done that.

Spinz: Why is it that the most obvious advice is so easy to overlook. I will do that. Thank you!

MoBiker (and Yen): The cardiologist mentioned the MRI issue, and said I'd have to use an alternative technology (ct scan?). I will elevate it as a concern.

Yen: I read about your father while searching the threads prior to posting. You have my deepest sympathy and you are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing. I lost my mother October 22... it is hard.

Dchief: I do need specifics... they use to warn about microwave ovens, now I hear I would need to consider cell phones, etc. I would be interested in what you find out, and I will check back with my cardiologist.

Thanks so much everyone for your input. First up, I will be pursuing the 2nd opinion.
Humble suggestions:

Is C-ville-Charlottesville? UVa med school is there........
Go see an electrophysiologist -a cardiologist who specializes in the electrical wiring of the heart.
Find out exactly the name of the condition and check it out on the internet.
The issues around MRIs and what generically are called implantable electronic cardiac devices IECDs are not small. If you need the pacemaker, then you need it.....but otherwise you would be best served not having it...........plus, the placing of it while not major surgery is not without risk. There are many other issues and types of pacemakers..........so go with a pad and pen, take notes, and have someone else listen with you..........This is quite complicated stuff............
Buena suerte