billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrelam
Fall rides can be tricky. How much will the temps go up by and when. So how much clothing/layers do you need.

For a short commuter ride I (1) have a hybrid with bags and lots of room for extra, and (2) its only 5 miles so who cares of you get it wrong. On long rides I don't have the luxury of having lots of bags... I want to travel light if I am going to ride over 50 miles. Food and drink for 80+ miles is hard enough to pack on the bike with just 2 bottle holders and a handlebar bag.

When I did my recent self supporting 82 miler the weather started at 34 F. I ound that the toe coveres orked to keep the near frozen air out of my shoes, but the extra compression from the material was also causing my fee to go numb. I had to put on a 2nd layer of gloves, and I later realized that those also making my hands go numb as well (at least no frost bite). I still need to get some good breathable gloves that work well between 32F and 45F. The problem is that with some equipment choices, you only know you made a mistake till it is too late and you are in the middle of the ride.

Great job in hanging in there!

Happy riding,
André
We have been riding in the 32-45 degree range quite a bit here (33 degree ride today) and I can highly recommend the Spenco Cold Snap gloves. Buy them big though. I have just average hands and XL is just barely big enough. (Source of gloves=Performance as I recall.)