Old 11-13-08, 08:06 PM
SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Good oh -- now I get it/must have missed that step somewhere
As a couple others say right above, really does sound like you're wantin' a 'cross bike -- assuming you're not talking full-on mtb'ing, but rather just the ability to ride what the Brits call 'rough stuff'. Lots of choice these days, I would have thought. Are you wedded to drop-bars, or would you (re)consider flats w/bar ends? That would open up the choice even more; e.g. you have a Giant, take a look at the FCRAlliance: canti brakes, clearance for up to about 35/38 tires, amazing 'comfort', wide-range gearing, etc. I just mention this one example because I'm seriously considering one to replace my 'roadified' mtb; it'll do everything I want (commute, tire switch, long rides, light touring, etc.), and have test ridden it extensively, on both unpaved and paved surfaces: very "road oriented but rugged ..." as you say above. But that's just me; I like flats w/bar ends, others don't.
Good points, here. And I do know about the Giant FCR, Mrs S has one (which is how I ended up with my OCR). I'm very, very impressed with that bike and Giant in general. So, yeah, a lighter, more responsive flat bar? Hmm... that's a thought. Bars would do nice job of "being hoods" but do have a bias toward road set ups. As for the CX idea, no... won't work. Have to say it was first thing I thought of. It seemed perfect but, for me, there aren't enough rings up front and the back doesn't go low enough. yeah, I could change it but why? And again, that seems to kind of lead me back to the Jamis. I really need to ride it again in more depth.