Old 12-14-04, 12:27 AM
samg
traffic dodger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
horse drawn carriages - chicago

I've never had a problem with horse-drawn carriages before. I was working Saturday afternoon just made a delivery up at the aon building, getting ready to go home, coming down the hill from Randolph towards Michigan. After dodging the scores of pedestrians crossing the street against the light, without regard to the bike, going through a green light, bearing down at 30mph. I moved to the second lane to avoid the row of horse drawn carriages prepping to clog up streets later in the day. With a red light at state, I moved between the first and 2nd lanes to get to the front of the traffic and make a right turn. (carriages were lined up in the right lane) Without looking, one of the horse-carriage prep girls darts into the street, forcing me into the back of a cab. Then she freaks out:

"OH MY GOD DID HE HIT YOU? DID THAT CAB HIT YOU" she started signaling a cop. Just what I needed. There was not much damage and both the cabbie and I wanted to get out of there. I told her that she should look when she darts into the street in the future. (not in such nice words).

Anyways I don’t understand why the city allows these people to set up shop in a busy street and spend an hour prepping their horses and cleaning out their carriages right downtown. A car or bike stops for a second blocking a lane and they're moved on and possibly ticketed. Maybe I’m off base or overreacting, but I’m not sure its so safe. Any other opinions or Carriage stories?