Old 11-15-08, 07:19 AM
GoldIngot

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desertdork
...As the officer passed, I watched as his right wheels tracked directly on the white line for as far as I could see. And, no, there wasn't an emergency; s/he waited at the next red light.

Is this really necessary on their part? Are they exempt from safely sharing the road all users? Am I wrong to have concerns about their driving abilities/judgment (based on the cyclists fatalities caused by law enforcement)?
No. You aren't wrong to expect other people to behave in a safe manner around you. It isn't self entitlement as others have claimed. No more so than if you're driving on the interstate to expect the other cars to not drift into your lane. It's self preservation.

Law enforcement is not exempt from following the rules of the road if not in an emergency situation. If I found myself in the situations you describe I would definitely contact the police agency and explain your concerns to them. The white line is to separate the lane. If someone is driving with a wheel on the line then several inches of the vehicle and the entire side mirror is OVER the line and intruding into your lane. This causes an immediate threat to your safety and is breaking the law.

It might not be a bad idea to contact the city/town officials concerning the substandard bike lanes and the resulting threats from using those lanes.

Good luck.