acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by late
Bar end shifters are very popular for touring bikes. I have them on my commutter. I like STI better. I think bar end, or down tube, shifters will be more reliable. But once I tried STI, there was no going back. This is pure personal preference, IMO. I am willing to sacrifice a little reliability for the sexy shifting.
STI shifters are about increasing control and safety. Both of your hands remain on the hoods (which increases your stablility -- no need to ride with one hand for even a fraction of a second); close to the brake levers (which decreases the likelihood of not being able to stop in an emergency); and able to switch gears quickly (so you won't be caught in the wrong gear). They may be less reliable, but you are better integrated with the machine.

Elegant engineering aside, it is SO annoying that STI shifters are not serviceable!

Some people prefer the Campy Ergo shifters -- which are serviceable. In my opinion, the Ergos are less "ergonomic" than the STIs. If you check this thread, you will see that several people find it awkward or hard to stay on the hoods while activating the Campy thumb trigger:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-56400

My thumbs do not easily reach the Campy thumb trigger, so I bought STI. I sacrificed some reliability, but gained overall usability.

Alan