Thread: Trekking bars
View Single Post
Old 11-16-08, 02:04 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Trekking bars

I think I may finally have the riding position right on the Frankenbike - I fitted a longer neck yesterday and it instantly felt 'right'. Here's a piccy of the beast before the longer neck went on

As you can see, the bars are at saddle level and the reach is fairly short. The new neck is about the same angle but 2cm longer - the result being a bit more reach (a cm and a half) and not a lot of extra height, BUT a much more natural feeling riding position ... over 2km around the neighbourhood. Not a real test I know.

The current bars are mtb bars - a bit of rise, a bit of pull back and a bit of drop at the end of the bars ie, they aren't pure flat bars. Only one alternative hand position is available via the bar ends, which do get used quite a bit though I spend most time on the bars.

She was built out of a bits and pieces box and I'm now thinking about giving her some new bits to try to sort out all the frustrations of trying to get old bits to work.

Soooo, the first step is to get the ride position sorted ... which I think I might have, then look at the bars. Hence this thread.

Trekking bars. I'm interested because they offer a lot more hand positions and I suffer numb hands like you wouldn't believe. The mtb bars currently fitted are comparable in shape and comfort to 'flats' on the 46cm Nitto Noodles on my sports bike but even wider. Trekking bars would offer more positions again but ...

How far apart are the flat grips on Trekking bars? I don't want to go back to having my hands close together - the Noodles work nicely but don't offer me the leverage I like for hauling loads and my daughter's tag-along.

Are the flat grips on Trekking bars flat (ie, like straight bars) or are they angled slightly like you get with the Noodles or the mtb bars I've described above?

I'm guessing that Trekking bars would place those flat bits behind and below where the bars bolt to the neck. Considering I'm already using a 120mm neck and can't afford to move those grips back or down, I'm thinking this makes Trekking bars useless on this frame. Any thoughts?

Apart from the specific issues raised above, any general thoughts on Trekking bars? Are they worth it (assuming the bike fit is right)?

I asked about Bullhorns in another thread - they're for a different bike but would they work on this bike?

Richard